About Dust Control
Dust control is offered by Wheatland County for landowners or residents within the County who wish to reduce the amount of dust created by vehicles travelling on the gravel roads near their homes, businesses or farms.
- Minimum amount is 122 metres (400 feet)
- Applications will only proceed if there is sufficient interest
- Typically it requires two applications of calcium chloride to provide dust control for an entire year (second application is optional, and fees apply for both applications)
- Prices reflect no charge for county staff or equipment—ratepayers pay for materials only
Calcium chloride is salt water brine. Once calcium chloride has been applied twice it will typically last the season under normal conditions.
$4.92/metre ($1.50/ft) plus GST
Deadlines to order:
June application order deadline – July 5, 2019
Application begins late-June (weather permitting)
Oil is crude oil mixed with gravel; it is then spread and packed. Oil should last three or more years under normal conditions. Because oil is easier to mix and will last longer if the weather is hot and dry, the county waits until midsummer to apply.
- County Roads new application = $19.69/metre ($6.00/ft) + GST
- County Roads redo = $16.40/metre ($5.00/ft) + GST
- Gravel Secondary Highway new application = $22.97/metre ($7.00/ft) + GST
- Gravel Secondary Highway redo = $16.69/metre ($6.00/ft) + GST
Note: Redo rates apply only at the County's discretion, and only if dust control has been done the previous year on the same site.
Deadline to order:
For Oiling (begins late-July, weather permitting)—July 8, 2019
Dust Control Patching - Time Sensitive!
$100/tonne + GST (as with all dust control, for materials only. Labour is no charge.)
Patching may be done on roads with oil applied last year. The service is subject to an inspection of the site to determine if the road surface can be repaired/patched or if the damage is too extensive. Apply immediately!